Laziness

By | Wednesday, July 23, 2008 1 comment
I think that I am a supremely lazy person. All things being equal, given the choice between doing something and doing nothing, I tend to choose nothing. Of course, that is an overstatement; I don't really know how to state the reality that I feel - everything I say here must be an approximation. The fact that I am writing this at all belies what I am saying. Blogging is not laziness.

Whenever I expound on my lazy nature, my friends always tell me I'm wrong. They point to my accomplishments in my professional career, they note the things I have created in my life, and the effort I put into friendships themselves. But I can't help feeling lazy and truly enjoying that laziness. I love the feel of sun and breeze on my skin. I want to sit in the sun and let the moments go by, watching thoughts float through my head on their way from somewhere to somewhere else. I inculcate serenity.

As for my professional accomplishments, I like to recite a quote that I have always attributed to Ben Franklin (of course, searching online now I cant find it): "If you want to find a really efficient way to do something, ask a lazy man how he would do it." I believe that my whole career boiled down to being super efficient in the way I did things, and that I was able to be super-efficient because I was supremely lazy.

I have all kinds of behaviors that compensate for my laziness. I make lists. I tackle projects so I don't have to think about them. I organize and arrange things for easy access. From the outside this undoubtedly looks like active efficiency and accomplishment. From the inside it feels like expediency driven by laziness.

I think its time for my mid-morning nap.
Newer Post Older Post Home

1 comment:

  1. Why is it laziness to enjoy down time? Isn't the purpose of life to appreciate being alive — the sun, the breeze, the napping? What society other than ours requires nothing but work and accomplishment? Far as I know, most traditional cultures worked only as much as they needed to and devoted whatever time was left to actually living.

    So here's to "laziness"!

    ReplyDelete

We love getting comments! Thank you. Your comment may require moderation. If so, we will get to it as soon as possible.