Loving-Kindness on the Highway

By | Monday, August 03, 2026 Leave a Comment

This afternoon I was taking an exit from the highway. It's a complicated exit with two lanes heading off in each of two different directions. At the last possible instant, a car in the extreme right lane suddenly veered to the far left. With some irritation I thought to myself, “You weren't paying attention, were you.” But then I changed mind. Maybe that wasn’t it at all.

Maybe they were on their way to a store to return something but suddenly realized they left the item on their kitchen counter. Maybe they had one of those, “oh crap, now I have to go back and get it”, moments. Or maybe, recently a loved one of theirs had died. They had planned to run an errand today, but as they were approaching the exit they decided that they just couldn't face the task, so they went back home instead. Maybe their GPS had told them to be in the right lane, then suddenly switched to take the other way for no apparent reason. I've certainly had that happen to me. Maybe they just got a text saying that their child was injured and they have to go to the hospital right now! Maybe they got a text saying that their spouse's water had just broken, so labor had begun, and the chore they were going to do before the baby's arrival had to go on the back burner. Or maybe they simply weren't paying attention. I've done that. Lost in thought, or talking with a passenger, or fiddling with the music in the car; I look up and realize I'm in the wrong lane. We've all done that, right? Or maybe they were just a bad driver; but being a bad driver doesn’t mean that someone is a bad person.

After I finished my exit and merged onto the next roadway, I spent the rest of my drive sending thoughts of love and kindness to the other drivers, regardless of how they were driving.

So now it's your turn; what reasons can you think of for the car in front of you suddenly doing something stupid in traffic. What rationales fill your heart with compassion and caring instead of irritation? Perhaps the next time you are on the highway you might like to send loving-kindness to the other drivers. I guarantee that there is someone on the road with you that could use a little love right now.
Older Post Home

0 Comments - Add yours!:

We love getting comments! Thank you. Your comment may require moderation. If so, we will get to it as soon as possible.